Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Making people...

Keep the cape. I'll make people.

Well, help, anyway.
- http://www.billpowellisalive.com/2006/01/joseph-chesterton-powell-and-superman/

I'm not going to presume to point out that society as a whole has given reproduction a bad rap. It's pretty obvious everywhere you look, everything you hear from the talking heads, even the looks on peoples faces when you say, "Party of 8," to the hostess at Friendly's.

So many people medicate to sterilize themselves, to sterilize their own marriages even! Children are not seen as a gift, they are seen as a mere commodity. Maybe it isn't that black and white. Sometimes sweeping generalizations are not appropriate. But how can something be seen as a gift when you only allow that gift to be received on your own terms? Seems kind of like a downer.

I dunno, I wish I could understand what is going through someones head when they are pumping themselves full of these synthetic horomones in order to disrupt something that is perfectly healthy and natural. We have this amazing ability to bring a new soul into this world, wouldn't we treat that part of ourselves with a little more respect? I think that it is so easy to take that for granted. How many people go and get fertility treatments in order to regain this power? This super power! It really is a super power. Just because everyone else has the parts to do it, doesn't make it any less of an amazing thing.



My husband and I can make people, and so can you. :)

1 comment:

Beth said...

Yay! Babies are great. I want to make another one, even though my first one is only 4 months old :)